Professor Colin Baigent
- Mexico City Prospective Study
- Gastroprotectant Trialists' (GPT) Collaboration
- 3C: A CAMPATH, Calcineurin inhibitor reduction and Chronic allograft nephropathy trial
- SHARP: Study of Heart and Renal Protection
- ATT: Antithrombotic Trialists' Collaboration
- Coxib and traditional NSAID (CNT) Collaboration
- CTT: Cholesterol Treatment Trialists' Collaboration
- STT: Stroke Thrombolysis Trialists' Collaboration
- MTT: Marfan Treatment Trialists' Collaboration
- Trials Methodology
- Research Regulation
- UK HARP III
- EMPA-KIDNEY: the study of heart and kidney protection with empagliflozin
Professor of Epidemiology and Director, MRC PHRU
- Deputy Director, CTSU
Colin Baigent studied Medicine at Bristol and Oxford University (1983-89), having originally studied Mathematics at Oxford (1980-83).
He became an MRC career scientist in 2002, and in 2006 was appointed Professor of Epidemiology at Oxford. From July 2013, he became Deputy Director of CTSU.
His main interest is in cardiovascular epidemiology, and most particularly the design, conduct and application of large-scale randomised trials in cardiovascular disease. His research includes the coordination of meta-analyses of randomised trials, typically with individual participant data, resulting in landmark papers that have helped determine the effects of aspirin (and other antiplatelet drugs), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, fibrinolytic therapy, and statins in different types of patients. His group has also contributed to a better understanding of cardiovascular disease in patients with renal impairment through the Study of Heart and Renal Protection (SHARP), the largest ever in patients with moderate-to-severe chronic kidney disease (CKD), recruiting 9438 patients in nearly 400 hospitals in 18 countries.
Effects of Sacubitril/Valsartan Versus Irbesartan in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: A Randomised Double-Blind Trial.
Haynes R. et al, (2018), Circulation
Effect of diabetes duration and glycaemic control on 14-year cause-specific mortality in Mexican adults: a blood-based prospective cohort study
Herrington, WG. et al, (2018), Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology
Declining comorbidity-adjusted mortality rates in English patients receiving maintenance renal replacement therapy.
Herrington W. et al, (2018), Kidney International
Impact of Apolipoprotein(a) Isoform Size on Lipoprotein(a) Lowering in the HPS2-THRIVE Study.
Parish S. et al, (2018), Circ Genom Precis Med, 11
The Role of Lipoprotein(a) in Chronic Kidney Disease.
Hopewell JC. et al, (2018), Journal of lipid research